Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Hey, Do You Remember the Story of Esther?

Can you guess what the picture at left has to do with Esther?

If you're like me you answered, "Uh, no."

Apparently Hassidic Jews celebrate the Jewish holiday of Purim in this way. This picture was taken straight from one such party.

For those of you who do not know what the Purim Holiday represents, I will tell you. It is a celebration of the Jews' salvation from genocide in ancient Persia. Yep, you know me; I have a definition of genocide for you - the deliberate and systematic destruction of a racial, political, or cultural group.

The book of Esther tells us that King Ahasuerus' Grand Vizier, Haman, plots to completely wipe out the entire Jewish population in Persia.

Esther approaches King Ahasuerus and requests of him to save her people from a self-centered mad man.

As the story goes, the King is enraged to learn that the man Esther speaks of is his, so called, right-hand-man, Haman. He then orders that Haman be hanged from the gallows prepared for Esther's uncle, Mordecai.

This being ironic, because Haman had been the one to order that the gallows be constructed after Mordecai had refused to bow down to him. (Esther 1 - 9)

How often has God saved us from total destruction? Well, personally speaking, "many a time!"
I can't deny that I am known to kick up my heels to the beat of a praise song, but only while alone in my family room.

In such tumultuous times wouldn't a big ol' party in celebration of all the wonderful things God has done for us, not to mention all the figurative train wrecks he has prevented, be very appropriate?

I, for one, would be the first to arrive and the last to leave. Um... although, I think I would forgo the table dance.

Until next time, love and blessings, Laura K.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Laura, go to the Ramp sometime and you'll have plenty of freedom to dance your heart out with some "on fire" young people! Yes, I wish we had that same kind of freedom at church. I believe it will happen one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! It is wonderful being around uninhibited praisers of God... it gives us permission doesn't it? I want to get to the place to where I don't need the crowd or the music to praise Him uninhibited. Being in a crowd like that gives us a taste of heaven where the praise will never stop.
    What if we answered the call to praise Him with all of our being regardless of our geographical location or the energy of the crowd or lack thereof? What if we praised Him out of hearts of gratitude... look at what He has done for for us!!! I love the song "I have Decided to follow Jesus". There is a verse that says " Though none go with me, still I will follow"... What if we could get past the opinion of man and did what we were created to do... praise our King! We are living stones!
    "Coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious, you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2:4.5
    And...
    "But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy"
    1 Peter 2:9,10
    He is worthy of all our praise!!! When we don't hold back our praises... it gives others permission to not hold back their praises!!! Let's be those living stones!!!

    I don't want the rocks to cry out in my place!
    What if we answered the call to worship? I guarantee you this one thing... well actually two things, It would please our Father... (He inhabits our praises) and it would cause curiosity in others. They may even ask us why we have such joy, which opens the door for testimony of His Goodness.

    ReplyDelete