Friday, April 15, 2011

I Never Promised You a Rose Garden

At left, a man and two boys walk on a street covered with rose petals spread by wholesale dealers to dry in the outskirts of Lahore, Pakistan.

When I found this picture, I couldn't help but think about Heaven. When we all get to Heaven, I expect wonders so amazing words could never capture such extravagance. Yet, I think God has put imagination in our hearts, so when I see beautiful things, my mind just automatically goes into what if mode. Streets of gold, flower petal streets, flowers that sway in the wind and sing. I just get so excited thinking about what Heaven might me like!

God is a good God and He wants us to have the desires of our hearts.  Of course, we know that He expects obedience, sacrifice and above all love (unselfishness). But I also believe that He delights in us.

As I sat pondering an old song came to mind. I'm sure at least some of you remember the song, I Never Promised You a Rose Garden. Our lives will not be without trouble, is the age-old moral to that song.

To be quite honest, as a child, I thought very little about the true meaning of some of its lyrics: You better look before you leap, still waters run deep, and there won't always be someone there to pull you out.

Wow.  As an adult, I am so glad that those lyrics are not the final word.

In John 16:33 I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me.  Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.

Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Psalm 32:7

But the salvation of the righteous is of the LORD; he is their strength in the time of trouble.  Psalm 37:39

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1

And call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify me. Psalm 50:15

I'm sure God knows that we will not always look before we leap.  After all, He created us!  You see, He loves us! Even though we may not always do the right thing, God is always there to pull us out!

Maybe we are not promised a rose garden.  But take heart, our Father has overcome the world!

And I will glorify Him all the days of my life!

Love and Blessings, Laura K.

No comments:

Post a Comment